Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Galaxy Invader (1985)

I've seen me some bad movies in my life, and this was definitely one of them. Another terribly 80 long minutes of my life.

An alien spaceship lands in a swamp area in rural USA. The locals quickly find out they can make a lot of money with capturing the alien and set out to hunt it down.

The ''alien'' is a dude in a cheap costume. I've got no problems with that. It adds to the cheesiness of movies like these. Unfortuntely director Don Dohler makes very little use of the alien. The story mainly centeres around a bunch of terribly acting local rednecks, with no charisma (apart from Richard Ruxton) whatsoever. And when a movie centers around a bunch of dusty, boring rednecks, the viewer tends to get bored...

The complete story must have been a result of a 5-minute brainstorm session of writers Don Dohler, Anne Frith and David Donoho. A plot is almost nonexistent. The fightscenes were even worse choreographed than the ones in my 5-minute, no budget, schoolproject. It's all so completely lame. The best example is right at the end of the movie, where someone slaps a person from a cliff (including a shot of a terrible looking mannequin). If you've seen this movie, you'll know what I'm talking about.



95% of the viewers would advice you to stay away from this movie, and so will I. Dohler could have learned a lot from movies like Phil Tucker's Robot Monster (1953), which manages to be one of the most entertaining movies ever without having a budget, a good story or a good monster costume. I'd only recommend watching The Galaxy Invader to either masochists or people who want to see every B-Monster Movie in the world. Althought those two things seem to be awfully close to each other.





No comments:

Post a Comment